Thursday, June 03, 2010

Dealing with Change

There are times when I need it, times when I want it, times when I hate it and then there are others when I just cannot make up my mind. A few days back I found myself dealing with two events at the same time, each of which promises significant change, but in one case I'd planned it and in the other I had to well..let's just say... just deal with it. That's when I thought... hey, why not bug you folks with this?

Now you could plan it out, write it down & measure it or it could be completely unexpected or it could be something in between, but in either case I often look at Change as an event, a noun which occurs at discrete points in time. And almost every time I do, it's never fun. Either I'm extremely upset about it(like when there's no oregano topping with my Pizza) or even if I'd planned it, it's never mind-blowingly awesome, coz well... it was planned!

With these thoughts in mind, as I sat typing & waiting for my favorite breakfast (steaming aloo parathas), I looked over my shoulder to see that the folks at the counter were furiously packing some parathas in silver foil and I was thinking 'how much longer?'. Exactly then,  I'm served with my breakfast, just that, it wasn't what i'd ordered. Turns out my parathas are now on their way to Indiranagar & I've been served with a bowl of steaming poha! Lemme describe it.


A western Indian dish made from soaked flattened rice, potatoes & diced onions, lightly spiced with salt n chilly, garnished with coriander, groundnuts and sev and sprinkled with a dash of lemon for that extra zing, it is lighter than air and legend has it that its aroma can melt the hearts of the strongest of Maratha warriors. When I taste it, I feel safe, I feel that all is well with the world and I'm reminded of all things noble and kind and beautiful. I'm no match to it's powers.

I know I started writing about Change. Maybe my next post should be about 'Focus'.


3 comments:

Murali said...

Hmmm subtle.

You use poha to deal with change. (sorry that I'm making it so bland)

You spoke about 'change' the noun...How about it triggering change, the verb, in you? :)

Goley said...

he he :D poha ?? really? it can NEVER make me take my mind off things.. But aloo parathas.. ummmm yummy :) with butter and dahi :D

Genie said...

Poha is awesome! Especially its totally incomplete without the LIME in it!

You just had me thinking of what I could eat tomorrow morning for breakfast..:)